CHOPPED TUNA SALAD
I am in the Maldives! And it is here on the indian ocean where the fishermen catch fantastic MSC certified sustainable skipjack tuna by pole & line. With this tuna I am making a roughly chopped fresh tuna salad! The recipe also works well with tinned tuna.
To make the ponzu sauce mix 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice, 1/3 cup fresh lime juice, 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 1 cup good-quality soy sauce, 1/4 cup mirin, 1/2 cup dried bonito flakes and a pinch of cayenne. Let it rest for at least 2 hours and after strain before using it.
Cut the cucumber in half, take out the seeds with a spoon and cut into small rings. Add it to two bowls.
Take of the ends of the spring onions and cut it diagonal in rings and add to the bowls.
Cut the red onion in half, peel it and cut it in rings. Keep a few pieces aside for the decoration later on.
Cut the avocado in small cubes and add to your bowl.
Peel the piece of ginger and grate it in the salad.
Cut the sustainable tuna into cubes and add to the salad.
Season the salad with one teaspoon of sesame seeds and one tablespoon of ponzu per person.
Add a bit of lime zest and a few sprigs of coriander on top and voila, your chopped tuna salad with avocado is done! Enjoy.
- For the ponzu sauce
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup good-quality soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/2 cup (about 1/4 ounce) dried bonito flakes
- Pinch of cayenne
- For the salad
- 1 large cucumber in small rings, take oud the seeds
- 2 spring onions, chopped in small pieces
- 1 red onion, cut in rings
- 1 avocado, cut in cubes
- a chunk of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tea spoons sesame seeds
- 300 gram of MSC tuna, cut in cubes
- a bit of lime zest
- a few sprigs of fresh coriander